On Friday, QMCA Chair John Kirkwood and I took part in a teleconference with the Hon. Mark Bailey, Minister for Transport and Main Roads as well as the Director-General for Transport and Main Roads Neil Scales. Also participating were representatives from IAQ, CA, EA, CCAA, AOC, CCF and APAA.
The following were some of the key messages from the meeting:
- DTMR will issue a guidance note detailing how any virus related project delay and disruption will be dealt with noting that current DTMR contracts do not provide relief for such delays (DTMR committed to acting fairly and reasonably)
- New contracts will continue to be awarded.
- Future contracts will contain provisions relating to Coronavirus
- QTRIP will be issued earlier this year
- The Government is mindful of the need to keep projects / the economy moving.
- Construction is considered an essential industry.
- DTMR has a business continuity plan in place to keep operating during the crisis.
- The Qld Government is working with the Federal Government to accelerate projects.
- The Qld government is considering increased spending on maintenance works and smaller projects to provide increased opportunities across the supply chain.
It is anticipated that further similar such meetings will take place in the coming weeks / months. If you have any queries, concerns or suggestions that you would like raising at future meetings please do not hesitate to contact me.