QMCA Chair John Kirkwood and CEO Jon Davies participated in a second Department of Transport and Main Roads Industry call hosted by Minister Bailey and Amanda Yeates.
The key take outs were:
- Industry is currently not yet experiencing significant disruption to projects or supply chain as a result of COVID-19
- The Department is keen for this to continue and is currently tracking extremely well against budget spend for the Financial Year
- A Contract Guidance Note setting out how DTMR intends to deal with any contract issues resulting from the virus has been drafted and is in the final stages of review prior to issue.
- The Department wants to work with industry on \amendments required to existing standard DTMR contracts to address virus issues on new projects.
- The Department is planning to introduce ‘Zero day payment terms’ which would effectively halve current payment periods.
- In return, The Department is looking for industry to sign up to a common position on industry best practice on COVID -19 site management e.g. precautionary measures and dealing with outbreaks as well a commitment to support the supply chain by passing down the benefits of the improved payment terms.
- DTMR plans to issue invites to working groups on these issues with the aim of reaching agreement on them by this time next week.
Another positive meeting and we welcome The Department’s collaboration with Industry at this time.