2023 Innovation & Excellence Awards
The annual QMCA Innovation and Excellence Awards are back to celebrate the outstanding work that our members, partners and suppliers undertake in Queensland.
Our Awards long lunch will welcome over 500 leaders from the contracting, engineering, consulting, government and industry environments.
This year we’ll continue to showcase the brightest and best that our industry has to offer.
There are nine categories in this year’s awards designed to reflect the people and projects from across our industry. To learn more about each award and to submit an expression of interest, please click on the links below:
- Ian Harrington Collaboration Award – This award recognises outstanding collaboration across construction and includes project teams, client/contractor partnerships, and supply chain partnerships.
- Dale Gilbert Lifetime Achievement Award – This award recognises the contribution Dale Gilbert made to infrastructure in Queensland. New for 2023, the award will recognise an individual for their outstanding career in infrastructure and for living up to the values Dale lived by; collaboration, innovation, mentoring and leadership. Finalists for this Award are selected by QMCA board members and the lead judges from the award judging panels.
- Cbus Superfund Project of the Year Over $100M Award – This award recognises the best project delivered over $100m in Queensland and should showcase design and delivery.
- Coates Project of the Year Under $100M Award –This award recognises the best project delivered under $100m in Queensland and should showcase design and delivery.
- Energy Fleet by Hembrows Design Excellence Award – This award showcases the very best of design in construction and infrastructure and is intended to showcase the creativity, innovation and thinking utilised to support major infrastructure projects.
- Technology and Innovation Award – This award celebrates the use of technology and innovation in the construction sector and is suitable for initiatives that demonstrate technological innovations as well as digital initiatives that support productivity and collaboration.
- Construction Professional of the Year Award – This award highlights who has advanced our sector through their leadership and commitment to the values that we share.
- 4020 Consult Emerging Professional of the Year Award – This award recognises an individual who has made an impact during the early stage of their construction career regardless of age or past career.
- Visy Sustainability and Community Award –This award highlights sustainability and/or community and stakeholder engagement in construction. This category includes developments in commercial and contractual sustainability, infrastructure design and environmental and material use, community programs, local content initiatives and workforce engagement programs.
Contractors, design consultants, subcontractors and suppliers are invited to submit their entries in their chosen category.
Please CLICK HERE to download the criteria for each award.
- Expressions of Interest – 1 September to 6 October 2023 – COMPLETED
- Submissions – 23 October to 30 November 2023 – A more detailed submission including project overview and imagery to match against the Award criteria and submitted via QMCA Website or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Judging – 1 December to 15 December 2023
- Finalists Presentations – 15 December 2023 – 15-minute presentation and 10-minute Q&A with the Judging panel.
- Awards Event – Friday 16 February 2024
This year the award submissions comprise three elements:
- Part 1 – Online Expression of Interest – 1 September to 22 September 2023 –COMPLETED
- Part 2 – Submissions – 23 October to 30 November 2023 – A more detailed submission including project overview and imagery to match against the Award criteria and submitted via QMCA Website. Comprising no more than 500 words using the Submission Form on the relevant award page, your award submission should represent achievements that showcase innovation and excellence in the Queensland civil infrastructure sector and files can be submitted as part of the entry submission.
- Part 3 – 30 minute panel interview and Q&A – 15 December 2023
A 30-minute panel interview will be held with the judges for your nominated category from 9 January 2023. It will comprise a 15-minute presentation to the judging panel followed by a 15-minute Q&A.
Don’t miss your opportunity to be recognised!
Winners will be announced at the QMCA Innovation and Excellence Awards Luncheon on Friday 16 February 2024. The awards luncheon is an opportunity to celebrate the achievements of our industry and network with Queensland’s leading civil infrastructure operators.
Expression of Interest
There is no charge to submit an expression of interest.
A non-refundable entry fee of $2,000 +GST Applies to all entries. QMCA will invoice entrants upon submission of an entry. Applications for the Dale Gilbert Lifetime Achievement Award are free.
Award Submission – Deadline 30 November 2023
We have designed the entry process to be as simple as possible, taking the pressure of complex and highly detailed award entries, as we understand that at this time of year, you are facing numerous tenders and EOI deadlines for major projects across Queensland and Australia.
Therefore, we have limited the entry to a maximum of 500 words (3,000 characters), enabling you to provide an overview of the project in relation to the criteria. Whilst it is limited to 500 words, if you feel you need another 100 don’t worry! Additional information such as renders, videos, photography, media coverage, supporting documentation can be provided via a share service such as WeSendIt, OneDrive etc. with links and, if needed, passwords to email@example.com
2023 QMCA Award Submission Form - Deadline 30 November 2023
2023 Awards Entry Form
QMCA would like to acknowledge and thank our supporters, without whom the 2023 Innovation and Excellence Awards would not be possible.
Become A Supporter
QMCA’s Innovation and Excellence Awards are our industry’s major celebration as we recognise the people, projects and innovations that define our success.
Taking place on 16 February 2024 and spanning eight categories, over 500 senior leaders, decision-makers and industry professionals will pack Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre to be part of this outstanding event.
Being a supporter is a great way to connect your brand with our membership and the wider construction and infrastructure sector. Click here to download a sponsorship prospectus and find an opportunity that is right for your brand.
Cbus Super Fund
Cbus Project of the Year $100m+ Award Sponsor
Cbus is the leading Industry Super Fund for the building, construction and allied industries.
As one of Australia’s largest super funds, Cbus is passionate about providing strong retirement outcomes for members and helping employers manage their business superannuation needs.
Established in 1984, Cbus is run only to maximise returns to members, and not profit to shareholders.
With $65 billion in funds under management (as at June 2021), Cbus invests back into your industry, creating jobs and stimulating economic growth through our subsidiary company Cbus Property Pty Ltd*.
Cbus is proud to sponsor the QMCA Innovation & Excellence Awards and specifically congratulates the winner of the Project of the Year above $100 million Award.
*Cbus Property Pty Ltd is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Cbus and has responsibility for the strategic performance and management of Cbus’ direct property investments.
Cbus’ Trustee: United Super Pty Ltd ABN 46 006 261 623 AFSL 233792 Cbus ABN 75 493 363 262. This information is about Cbus and does not take into account your specific needs or considerations. For more information about Cbus visit www.cbussuper.com.au or call us on 1300 361 784. For more information about Cbus Property visit www.cbusproperty .com.au
4020 Consult Young Professional of the Year Award Sponsor
4020 is delighted to support the Young Professional of the Year Award. 4020 was established to provide our client’s within the Construction, Engineering & Renewables sectors with a highly effective approach to managing their People strategy and Recruitment operations. With a clear focus to overcome the challenges that often beset SMEs, 4020 Consult engages in genuine partnerships with a select group of clients to enhance their people engagement strategies while also optimising their staff performance through training and coaching. The very core of our business though has always been recruitment, where we specialise is attracting the highest quality of candidates through our extensive networks and search techniques.
Coates is Australia’s leading equipment hire provider, operating across a range of markets including engineering, mining and resources, infrastructure, manufacturing, construction, agriculture and major events.
In FY21, Coates celebrated 136 years of commitment to supporting their customers who help build Australia.
With a national footprint of over 150 branches, more than one million pieces of equipment and over 1,900 highly skilled employees, Coates provides expert equipment solutions for nearly 19,000 customers.
This includes end-to-end solutions for temporary works, traffic management, water management, industrial shutdowns, maintenance, training services and events.
So give Coates a call on 13 15 52 or visit coates.com.au and let’s make it happen.
A global leader in packaging and resource recovery
Visy is a global leader in packaging and resource recovery and has been a pioneer in sustainability since our inception.
We’re proud that sustainability sits at the centre of our operating model.
We’re committed advocates on some of the bigger issues that make a difference to us, our customers and our communities: from pushing for more sustainable manufacturing approaches, to creating better economic futures for regional communities.
Our innovation, manufacturing and logistic capabilities are organised around an integrated closed loop. Together, they give life to tailored solutions that deliver enduring value for our customers, partners and communities.
In business for over 70 years, we operate in more than 140 sites throughout Australasia and have trading offices across Asia and Europe.
With over 7,000 employees, our innovative approach provides end-to-end solutions for our customers’ needs across paper, primary packaging, fibre packaging, packaging supplies and consumables, point of sale displays, automation, materials handling, logistics and recycling.
Energy Fleet by Hembrows
Energy Fleet powered by Hembrows Electrical, is disrupting how clean, renewable energy is used and accessed on major construction and infrastructure projects. Our innovative fleet of solar-powered construction site energy solutions has been successfully deployed on projects across Queensland and New South Wales, offering an alternative to noisy, large-scale diesel generators while supporting your projects and the wider industry’s move to a net zero, clean energy future.
Supported by Hembrows’ 45 years of operation and success in delivering electrical solutions for major construction, infrastructure and engineering projects, Energy Fleet brings you the latest tried and tested technology, backed by an electrical contractor with a proven track record of delivering design & construct solutions in energy and solar.